What resources are available at Stonewall Youth?
- An LGBTQQIA library filled with fabulous books, magazines and movies
- Referrals for individual counseling
- Staff people who are trained queer youth advocates.
- In office computers for resume writing, applying for DSHS benefits, etc.
- Adult volunteer facilitators who facilitate our weekly support group and provide feedback and support.
- We depend on word of mouth and personal experience to collect resources. If you have anything to add to this resource list of if you see incorrect or out dated information, please email us at Masa@stonewallyouth.org
Other Resources Besides Us:
- Emergency Hotlines
- Thurston County Organizations and Resources
- Greater WA State Organizations and Resoruces
- Trans Resource
Thurston County LGBTQ+ Organizations and Resources
Gender Alliance of the South Sound (Tacoma, Bremerton, Olympia)
- 2215 Pacific Ave. Tacoma, WA 98402
- GASS offers a support group for trans identified individuals (basically anyone identifying with something other than the gender that they were assigned at birth). Olympia support group meetings are every Wednesday, 8-10pm. See site for details.
- (360) 352-2375 (for scheduling HIV testing appointments)
- Mpowerment aims to mobilize young gay and bisexual men to build a healthy community, form positive social connections, and promote safer-sex. They also offer free HIV testing via the phone number above. Slots are Fridays from 2p-7p.
Partners in Prevention Education (Olympia)
- (360) 357-4472
- 408 7th Ave SE Olympia, WA 98501
- PiPE’s mission: “To engage homeless and at risk youth, LGBTQQIA youth, and adult allies in the elimination of sexual violence, bias & hate crimes as they contributes to homelessness and as it exists in street culture.
We achieve this though social change work, violence prevention education, and survivor support services including advocacy, therapy and support groups.”
- Provides support for parents, family, friends, significant others, etc. of LGBTQ+ people.
- Meets at: First United Methodist Church
1224 Legion Way SE, Olympia
enter on 5th Ave. side
Pierce County Aids Foundation (Olympia office)
- PCAF is dedicated to assisting persons living with HIV/AIDS to meet their needs for food, housing, healthcare and personal support. PCAF also offers safer sex products and HIV testing on certain days.
Pizza Klatch (Thurston County)
- (360) 339-7574
- 4305 Lacey Blvd SE Suite 29 Lacey, WA 98503
- Pizza Klatch offers lunch time support groups with trained facilitators for LGBTQ+ high school students at 11 high schools throughout Thurston County. They also offer training and workshops.
- (360) 352 – 9716
- Toll free: 866 – 343 – 9716
- 309 5th Ave SE Olympia, WA 98501
- POWER (Parents Organizing for Welfare and Economic Rights) is an organization of low-income parents and allies advocating for a strong social safety net while working toward a world where children and care giving are truly valued, and the devastation of poverty has been eradicated.
- Office Line: (360)786-8754
- Crisis Line: (360)754-6300
- TTY: 711
- TTY: (360)943-6703
- 521 Legion Way SE
Olympia, WA 98501
- SafePlace is the only advocacy agency and confidential shelter for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in Thurston County. They also holds workshops and trainings for other organizations. They also offer resources in Spanish.
- PO Box 2659, Olympia, WA 98507-2659
- Services and Advocacy for GLBT+ Elders aims to promote the wellness of GLBT+ elders in the Thurston County area with a range of referrals, services and other activities.
Greater Washington Area Organizations
Lambert House (Seattle)
- Lambert House provides activities and support to LGBT+ youth in Seattle ages 22 and under.
Oasis Youth Center (Tacoma)
- Oasis Youth Center offers activities, programming, and advocacy for youth ages 14-24 in the Pierce County area.
Triple Point (Vancouver and Walla Walla)
- Vancouver: 360-695-1325
- Walla Walla: 509-529-2130 ext 118
- Triple Point functions as a part of Children’s Home Society of Washington and serves youth ages 13-21, offering LGBT+ support groups. Vancouver also has a transgender specific support group.
Quest Youth Center (support for GLBT youth in the Tri Cities, WA)
Trans Lifeline (hotline for trans people in crisis)
(877) 565-8860 (US)
(877) 330-6366 (CANADA)
Crisis Clinic (serves Thurston and Mason Counties)
Youth Line: 360-586-2777
Foster Care Helpline (for GLBT youth specifically)
Gay and Lesbian Victim’s Assistance 24 Hour Hotline
Trevor Helpline (24 hour suicide hotline for GLBT youth)
Dispute Resolution Center of Thurston County
Gender Alliance of the South Sound (trans support information, aid, and resources)
Support group meetings held every Wednesday: 8-10 pm
408 7th Ave SE, Olympia, WA 98501
New Boyz Club (ftm transgender and genderqueer support and discussion group)
Meets every other Friday from 7-9 pm, 18+ (contact for location)
Gender Spectrum (information resource page)
TransYouth-TransFamilies (psychotherapy for gender variant youth and their families)
Keylee Marineau, MA
Phone: (360) 464-7636
Outside In – Portland
Help homeless youth and other marginalized people move towards improved health and self-sufficiency. Leaders in GLBTQ youth.
Ingersoll Gender Center – Seattle
Tom Waddell Clinic – San Francisco
The Brown Boi Project- Located in Oakland, California
A community of masculine of center womyn, men, two-spirit people, transmen, and our allies committed to transforming our privilege of masculinity, gender, and race into tools for achieving Racial and Gender Justice.
Internet Resources for Queer Culture, Health and Community
Check out our new Tumblr page!
We Need Queer Youth Space Seattle
- A tribute to Queer Youth Space, this fan page is a platform to advance trans, queer, and gnc folks of color and progressive movements.
Community United Against Violence
Their mission is to prevent and respond to violence against and within our diverse LGBTQQ communities. They accomplish this through peer-based counseling, direct assistance, education and outreach, grassroots organizing, and policy advocacy.
The Daily Queer News
Daily headlines from the nation’s leading lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender newspapers, mags and blogs.
Female to Male International (FTMI)
Serving the Female-to-Male community. Chapters provide educational activities, support meetings, information, networking and referral services.
FORGE is a Milwaukee-based, progressive organization whose mission is to support, educate and advocate for the rights and lives of transgender individuals and SOFFAs (Significant Others, Friends, Family, and Allies).
Intersex Initiative – Portland
Portland, Oregon based national activist and advocacy organization for people born with intersex conditions.
Intersex Society of North America
The Intersex Society of North America (ISNA) is devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female.
The Network la Red
The Network la Red is a survivor-led, social justice organization that works to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, BDSM, polyamorous, and queer communities.
The Northwest Network
Offers free and confidential support for LGBT survivors of abuse and their friends and families.
Documents diversity within trans male lifestyles through photographic portraits and essays, personal narratives and interviews. We feel that there is no single way to sum up what it means to be a trans man because we each have different beliefs, life experiences and relationships to our own bodies.) This is an online resource as well as a quarterly magazine.
The Rainbow Center – Olympia
A virtual community center for Olympia and surrounding communities, serving gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and allied people.
Safe Schools Coalition
The Safe Schools Coalition is an international public-private partnership in support of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth, that is working to help schools – at home and all over the world – become safe places where every family can belong, where every educator can teach, and where every child can learn, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.
The Survivor Project
Dedicated to addressing the needs of intersex and trans survivors of domestic and sexual violence through caring action, education and expanding access to resources and to opportunities for action.
TransYouth Family Allies
TYFA empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected.
Youth Guardian Services
Youth Guardian Services is a youth-run organization that provides support services on the Internet to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, questioning, and straight supportive youth.
Know Your Rights
Washington State Public Schools
These are guidelines constitute OSPI’s interpretation of Washington State anti-descrimination law and are provided to support school districts’ understanding of their obligations under these laws. These issues still come up all the time for youth in our community: importantly, pages 28-30 apply specifically to trans youth and schools.
Stonewall Youth has books for you to read. Just come on in and start reading!
- Kate Bornstein: My Gender Workbook and Gender Outlaw
- Patrick Califia-Rice: Sex Changes: The Politics of Transgenderism
- Loren Cameron: Body Alchemy: Transexual Portraits
- Leslie Feinberg: Trans Liberation, Transgender Warriors, Stone Butch Blues
- Sue-Ellen Jacobs, Wesley Thomas, Sabine Lang, eds.: Two-Spirit People
- Suzanne J. Kessler: Lessons From The Intersexed
- Daphne Scholinski with Jane Meredith Adams: The Last Time I Wore A Dress
- Riki Anne Wilchins: Read My Lips
- Jamison Green: Becoming a Visible Man
- Julia Serano: Whipping Girl
- List of Queer Books: http://www.queerbychoice.com/choicebooks.html
- List of Transgender Books: http://www.myhusbandbetty.com/transgender-books/
Queer/Trans Friendly Movie and Book Stores
Powells Book Store (Portland, Oregon)
Half Price Books (Seattle, WA)
Orca Books! (Olympia, Washington)
Last Word Books (Olympia, Washington)
Rainy Day Records (Olympia, Washington)